I’m extremely excited to start Favorite BK Spots series with Nicole DiBona today. I’ve gotten to know her through my best friend and found that not only is she sweet, spunky, and an overall beauty, but she’s also super talented. And I should also mention she has the cutest bulldog in Brooklyn Heights!
What part of Brooklyn do you live in? Brooklyn Heights
How long have you been living in BK? 2 months shy of 3 years
Where did you originally grow up? Why did you decide to move to BK? I was born and raised in the Bronx, but slowly migrated south through Manhattan and then settled in Brooklyn. I originally moved to Brooklyn for love ;) Now I have a love affair with the borough and can’t imagine having my permanent residence being anywhere else.
What do you do? What project are you working on? I am the founder and creative director of RED VELVET by Nicole Marcella, a Brooklyn based design house specializing in high-end swimwear and accessories. We made our first appearance at Miami Swim Week this past summer and were successful in selling our products to a number of stellar boutiques across the country, at which our collection will hit shelves at the end of the year. All of our products are made domestically in Brooklyn or Los Angeles.
What are your top 5 Favorite BK Spots?
1. Colonie – Restaurant with chic décor always filled with hip Brooklyn locals. My favorites include their specialty cocktails and salty caramel custard-filled doughnuts made in-house.
2. Brooklyn Flea – Like many other Brooklynites, I enjoy sifting through vintage clothes, antiques and Brooklyn eats at this weekend market. I can’t ever seem to leave without indulging in a Dough doughnut.
3. The Chocolate Place – Custom ice cream sandwiches of which I always get salted caramel peanut butter cookies with vanilla bean ice cream…enough said!
4. Cloak & Dagger – This small shop has a small hidden rack in the back with amazing vintage pieces and an awesome crepe café next door!
5. Barclays Center – I know it’s well known, but I often frequent the Barclays Center. As a huge nets fan and having the convenience of an arena in walking distance, I attend as many games as possible. I’ve also gone to the VMAs, specifically to see the N’SYNC reunion performance, and circus.