WARNING: This drink will cause uncontrollable drooling…before, during and after drinking a cup. Napkins or a bib is necessary.
As the weather continues to get colder here on the East coast, finding ways to stay warm is my top priority. My friend, knowing that I love to make hot drinks sent this article to me, and we both agreed that we had to try the Bacon Hot Chocolate. I LOVE bacon, seriously give me anything with bacon and I’ll eat it! I’m just mad I didn’t come up with this recipe. It’s extremely decadent and the flavors are so rich it will most certainly have you forgetting it’s below 20˚.
- 4 Thick slices of bacon
- 1 / 2 teaspoon corn star
- 1 / 4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups skim milk
- 4 oz milk chocolate chips
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces bourbon (instead of Frangelico I only used bourbon)
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-low until it’s crispy (not burned) Transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate to dry. Don’t throw away the fat from the skillet – place it aside.
- In medium saucepan, stir cocoa, sugar and salt. Mix in the bacon fat, corn starch, milk, and the chocolate chips over medium. Whisk the ingredients together until the chocolate is melted.
- Add the bourbon. Then pour into individual cups with a strip of the crispy bacon. Serve while it’s hot.
*I skipped out on the whipped cream and chopped hazelnuts since the bacon was more than enough for me
*Photos taken by Eric Reitz